Memory Verse: "But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship." Galatians 4:4-5
Scripture Reading: Galatians 4:1-11_
1. Law Keeping Christians are immature like children and slaves! Verses 1-3
- While under age:
b. Owns the entire estate but can’t enjoy it
- Subject to:
b. Trustees: A person in charge of the administration of a household
c. Until the Father says the time is up! Here this is consistent with Roman customs of granting adulthood to boy at ages varying from 14-17 depending upon the circumstances.
- Before Jesus came, all people were like immature children in their relationship to God!
- Law was a tutor: Galatians 3:24, i.e. a guardian and guide of boys.
- Elemental things were our master: verse 3
- The natural laws and the OT Law together have been replaced in the life of the Christian.
- The time for this transition is according to the Heavenly Father in the Divine plan.
- Fullness of time: When God’s timing had been achieved. At the right time!
- Reminiscent of the Birth of Jesus narrative in Luke 2:6 NIV - "While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born,"
- God sent His Son: Divine timing, Divine planning, Divine power, Divine presence
- Born of a woman, born under the Law:
- To redeem: Divine Purpose, to purchase out from under the Law those who are under it and who are unable to redeem themselves.
- That we might receive adoption to sonship:
- Because you are his sons!
- The Slavery Situation Has ended!
b. Since a child then an heir!
c. Don’t go back to the weak things that enslaved you in your past life!
d. Going back would be a waste of God’s work and the work of the ministry!
- Thank God for His Spirit of adoption!
- Commit to know Him in a mature Parent/Child relationship .
- Ask for Him to show you any legalism and beggarly ideas that are creeping into your life.