Scripture Reading: “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest. Even now the one who reaps draws a wage and harvests a crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Thus the saying ‘One sows and another reaps’ is true. I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.” John 4:34-38
- Jesus’ 1st command: Mark 1:17
- His last command: Acts 1:8
- We have been sent: John 20:21
- The Great Commission: Matthew 28:18-20
Yet, we do not FISH!
We also know from Scripture that there are plenty of FISH - John 4:34-38
- V34: It’s food or nourishment for us because we are doing His will and His work
- V35: There are many fish and they are BITING!
- V36-38: We have the benefits of each other’s labor; we work together; we receive wages!!
- It’ God that catches the fish: 1 Cor 3:7
YET, we do not FISH!
We are told in Scripture to prepare ourselves and others to fish:
1. Ourselves: 2 Tim 2:15
- As one approved; not ashamed.
- Correctly handling the Word
2. Others: 2 Tim 4:1-5
- Paul urges us to preach the Word; be prepared
- Patiently correct, rebuke and encourage YOUR people with good teaching
- Keep a clear mind , don’t be afraid to suffer for the Lord!
- Work at telling others the Good News!
- Fully carry out the ministry God has given you!
YET WE DO NOT FISH! – Why is this; what is our problem?
- Mark 12:29-31
- John 13:34-35
- 2 Tim 4:10
- Like Demas, we have a LOVE PROBLEM! How does Jesus say that we show love to Him? John 14:15,21; John 13:35
How do we solve our LOVE Problem?
- We repent and seek His Face – He deserves to be preeminent in our lives. Col 1:18
- Ask Him to work on your heart. Deut 30:6
- We seek First His Kingdom – Mat 6:33
- We OBEY immediately and completely! John 14:15
Now let us PREPARE to FISH!
- Learn a basic method--you are studying several good methods, but have one basic method that you use. It frees you up to listen and talk, instead of worrying about what to say next.
- It’s okay if you don’t have all the answers--It is okay to say, “I don’t know.”
- Fear is normal--it is an experience that everyone deals with. The Apostle Paul even asked for prayer for boldness (If no fear, you are probably witnessing in the flesh). Remember that you are not alone – Jesus is with you with power, protection and wisdom. The Holy Spirit is also at work in the heart of the other person.
- Remember that God does the saving – He gives the increase
- Learn by going with someone who regularly shares Jesus
- Always Pray specifically for the lost BEFORE (and during, yes during) you share; evangelism without prayer is presumption!
- Lead by example--people are watching what you do, and tend to pay more attention to what you do than what you say.
Share the GOSPEL (from Dare2Share):
- God created us to be with him.
- Our sin separates us from God.
- Sins cannot be removed by good deeds.
- Paying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again.
- Everyone who trusts in him alone has eternal life.
- Life that’s eternal means we will be with Jesus forever.
Are you ready to commit to being obedient? They let’s start fishing; they are biting in our area!