Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11:30-40
Faith that receives the promise of God looks differently depending upon whose life it is in!
1. Faith wears many faces! Verses 30-32
A. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses!
B. Joshua gets bypassed for the group!
C. Rahab gets the headlines even as a prostitute!
D. Male/female, individual/group, well known/obscure, major/minor, expert/novice
E. Anyone can have faith, and most who have it are never noticed for it!
F. If you are in it for the public affirmation, forget it!
2. Faith walks many paths! Verses 33-35a
A. Wants the life that God gives: v. 33 “received what God had promised” NLT
B. Wins Battles:
> Conquered Kingdoms
> Administered Justice
> Shut the mouth of lions
> Quenched the fury of flames
> Escaped the sword
> Weakness turned to strength
> Powerful in battle, routing armies
> Receiving healing
C. Withstands Trials: v. 35, “placed their hope in a better life after the resurrection.” NLT
> Choose to Refuse Release
> Faced jeers and flogging
> Endured chains of imprisonment
> Stoned to death, sawn in two, killed by the sword
> Homeless wanderers: Verses 37-38
> The world was not worthy of them!!!
3. Faith seeks one object! Verses 39-40
A. Faith seeks Jesus! Faith doesn’t rest short of it’s goal in Christ! Hebrews 11:10
B. Faith makes it possible for us all to reach that same goal together in Christ! You can be faithful!
C. Faith is not satisfied with something less than the best, it seeks something better! v. 40
D. By-product of faith is the fame of a good name: Proverbs 22:1
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11:23-29
Faith has courage to:
1. Defend the defenseless! verse 23
A. Acknowledge the sanctity of human life
B. Every life is an extraordinary life in the hands of Jesus!
2. Deny the civil authority! verse 23
3. Declare your Identify as a part of the people of God! Verse 24
A. Own your faith!
B. Own your people by standing with them!
4. Desire fellowship with God and his people over the pleasures of sin! Verse 25
A. Reject the identity of evil!
5. Develop the discerning eye of Christ: verse 26-27, 1 Corinthians 2:15-16
A. Disdains Egyptian Treasure: Hebrews 5:14
B. Drawn toward the promised reward
C. Dominion of the unseen King not the visible one: Ephesians 6:12, 2 Kings 6:17
6. Delivered by the blood and through the water: verses 28-29
A. Blood of Christ
B. Baptism of the Holy Spirit
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11:20-22
1. Faith enables Christian parents to shape the future of their children through blessing! Verse 20
A. Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau
B. Jacob blessed Joseph’s sons
C. Joseph anticipated the Exodus and told his children
D. Blessing & Instructing are the keys to the future shape of our children’s lives.
2. Faith empowers Christians to worship even when facing our own mortality! Verse 21
A. Worship based on God, not self
B. Worship based on God puts a focus on others: Lives to bless other people
C. While withering away:
1) No bad time to worship God,
2) don’t wait on the perfect time, now is the time
3. Faith instructs with the future in mind! Verse 22
A Near term instructions are of limited value!
B. Long term instructions are life changing!
C. Faith focuses on God’s plan for progress!
1) Our end is not God’s end or the end!
2) God has a plan!
3) God has the power!
4) God is moving everything in His direction for His glory!
4. Faith has final affairs in order!
A. Take care of the big issues now!
B. Teach them to your children!
C. Turn your life toward what matters every day in every decision!
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 11:8-19
1. Faith obeys God even when some of the directions remain uncertain. Verse 8
Josh Pilgrim, Pastor