Sermon Scripture: Philippians 3:1-7
1. Rejoice in the Lord, not in yourself! Verse 1
- Not a new idea!
- Worth repeating!
- It is a safeguard for you!
- Dogs, evildoers, mutilators of the flesh
- Legalists: People who offered the Law as the way to living righteous lives after salvation. Dietary laws of Judaism and circumcision were encouraged.
- Licentious: People who believed that Christians could live as the pagans after accepting Christ.
following Jesus! Verse 3
- Circumcision is the mark of the Jew as God’s people.
- Circumcision is now replaced by the Holy Spirit empowered service!
- Service alone is not the key!
- Passion alone is not the key!
- Christ’s spirit enlivens your service!
- Boast in Christ
- No confidence in the flesh!
- If anyone could, Paul could!
- Circumcised on 8th day!
- Tribe of Benjamin
- Pharisee: Accomplished!
- Zealous in persecuting the church!
- Law based righteousness: Faultless!
- Everything that was to my credit is now a loss for the sake of Christ!!!!
- Repent of self-sufficiency!
- Surrender to Christ and serve Him in faith!
- Guard your heart from the influence of dogs and evildoers!