- Was from the beginning with the Father: verse 1, 2
- Has Appeared: Verse 2
b) Was seen by the Apostle: verse 1, 2
c) Was examined through sight and touch: verse 1
- Is now being proclaimed: verse 1-3
b) The content of the proclamation stems from the content of the revelation!
c) They convey only what they experienced.
i. You may have fellowship with us
ii. Fellowship is with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
e) Proclamation is the highest joy of the Christian life! Verse 4
II. The Message of Jesus allows fellowship with God! verses 1:5-2:2
- God is light and in Him is no darkness! Verse 5
- We cannot walk in darkness and fellowship with God! Verse 6
- We walk in fellowship with God as we walk in the light! Verse 7
b) Fellowship flows from followship! Follow Jesus as the light of God!
c) What about my sins? Jesus’ blood purifies us from all/every sin that separates from God!
- Sin is a perniciously persistent presence! Verses 8, 10
b) Those who claim to not have sinned make God into a liar and His word isn’t in them!
- Forgiveness and Purity can be your reality! Verse 9
b) God is faithful and just
c) He forgives and purifies: For you and for the whole world! 2:2
d) Jesus is our atoning sacrifice for sin: verse 2:2
- God treats us like His children! Verses 2:1-2
b) Provides us with an advocate to plead our case on our behalf when we do sin!
c) Pays the penalty for our sins!
- Get back in Fellowship by confessing sin!
- Avoid sin as much as it is possible!
- Experience the ongoing message of Jesus!
- Share the message in joy!