Scripture Reading: Ruth 2
Memory Verse: “May the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge, reward you fully for what you have done.” Ruth 2:12
1. What had God provided for Naomi? Does God Deal Bitterly?
- A Relative: Boaz, She winds up in Boaz’ field, kinsman of Elimelek
- A Law of provision for the poor: Gleans behind the harvesters
- A Land of promise: Notice the connection back to the Covenant with Abraham?
- “As it turns out?” Was this all and accident? Coincidence?
- God works in sovereign and surprising ways to enact His gracious will!
- Ruth, “the Moabite”, (7 times), volunteers to go glean in the field:
- Industry: Gathered all day in surprising and undeserved prosperity!
- Shared with Naomi
- Piper: http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/ruth-under-the-wings-of-god
- A man of wealth and a man of God!
- From Bethlehem! Redemption from Bethlehem?
- Bestows God’s blessing and presence
- Takes note of Ruth: Told of her race, Moabite, her work
- Stay with me, Work with my female workers, Don’t worry about my men: Protected! Drink water from my supply. Fed her from his table! Left her extra gleaning
- Even though she is a “foreigner”?
- Why? Ruth had a reputation for faithfulness in the community!
- Boaz saw himself as an instrument of God’s refuge. A source of reward for her faith!
- She was offered Refuge under God’s wings/Boaz’ field and provision/protection: Psalm 91:4, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Luke 13:34
- You hit the jackpot? Where did you glean?
- He is one of our redeemers! Lev. 25:25-55
- Encourages Ruth to stay with Boaz
- Reputations are important!
- Relationships are vital!
- Refuge is life changing!
- Redemption is possible!