In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs. Hebrews 1:1-4
- To the Fathers: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob: Israel, God’s covenant people. Special revelation to His covenant people. Different from General revelation through nature or philosophy.
- Through: Prophets in many portions and ways
- Prophetic utterances of God: "one who speaks forth or openly", "a proclaimer of a divine message," denoted among the Greeks an interpreter of the oracles of the gods.
- One who speaks for God to foretell events or forth tell God’s divine will.
2. God speaks now: Verse 2a
- Now (these last days):
b) This period began with the earthly ministry of Jesus and will continue until the return of Christ.
- To us who are His people of a new covenant.
- Through His Son, Jesus:
3. Jesus says it ALL: Verse 2b-4
- Appointed Heir of ALL things
- ALL of the universe was made through him
- ALL of God’s glory radiates in him
- ALL of God’s being/essence is represented in him
- ALL material and spiritual world is sustained by his word
- ALL our sins have been purified
- ALL honor of position belongs to him
- ALL other beings are subjected to his superior name
- God spoke in the past: Verse 1
- God speaks now: Verse 2a
- Jesus says it ALL: Verse 2b-4
- Subject yourself to Jesus! Make him 1st in your life.
- Remove any rival for his place of supremacy in your life.
- Reject the idea that there are other paths or ways to God.
- Listen to Jesus words to direct your life.