Sermon Scripture: Acts 18:18-19:7
Sermon notes are available to follow along below, or for download here.
Paul : A Missionary Full of the Holy Spirit
- Knowledge : He was competent in the ___________ . (He taught accurately).
- Passion : He was fervent in __________ . (He spoke boldly).
- Humility : He was a teachable ___________ . (He was willing to learn in areas of weakness).
▪ An incomplete gospel is an _____________ gospel.
▪ Apollos was mighty in the Scriptures but he was ___________ information.
Priscilla & Aquila : A Gracious Couple Who Completed Apollos’ Education
▪ But what about Pentecost?
~ Jesus’ disciples were living in a time of covenant transition.
1. Regarding Jesus, they understood the ______ covenant (they believed in an ascended Messiah).
2. Regarding the Spirit, they still lived in the ______ covenant (they had an incomplete experience of the Spirit).
~ At Pentecost, disciples with an old covenant experience of the Spirit became disciples with a new covenant experience of the Spirit.
▪ But what about other “second baptisms” in Acts?
~ None of these experiences mention “baptism by/in/with the Spirit.”
~ The new covenant realization of the Spirit is simply following the advancement of the gospel to new ____________ (Acts 1:8).
▪ Be confident in your baptism.
▪ Beware of ______ -class Christianity.
▪ Be ___________ in seeking the Spirit!
▪ Be ___________ in talking about experiences with the Spirit.
~ Look for the _________ of the Spirit.
~ Focus on the _________ of the Spirit.
Josh Pilgrim, Pastor