No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11
A systematic instruction intended to train a person, sometimes literally called a disciple, in a craft, trade or other activity, or to follow a particular code of conduct or "order."
What are spiritual disciplines?
Spiritual disciplines are means by which individuals can very literally "practice" their faith. There are three main types of disciplines typically practiced in the life of a Christian; inward disciplines, outward disciplines, and corporate disciplines.
Place the following 12 spiritual disciplines in their correct category. Some may fit into multiple categories. Be sure to spend time studying the scripture reference.
- God uses those disciplines to grow our faith. This matures us as
- Christians and helps us develop a deeper relationship with our Father.
- We learn to yield to the power of the Holy Spirit and the role that it takes in our lives.
- Shows our level of commitment.
- Inward disciplines work on the heart. We can see where our commitment lies by examining how well we maintain the integrity of these disciplines.
- Outward disciplines are important as they help us to be held accountable to the eyes watching us. By doing these disciplines (and doing them well) we become an example that a new believer can look up to.
- Corporate disciplines provide us with additional accountability but also a great supply of support and encouragement.
Commit to memorizing this week’s memory verse. Pray and ask God to show you what disciplines He desires you to work on this week. Keep a journal on each and how you can better your efforts and build a stronger relationship with your Father.