Sermon Scripture: 1 Timothy 1:12-17
12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- Christ: anointed
- Jesus: Jehovah is salvation
- Lord: title of respect given to the owner or possessor of a thing
- Gives me strength
- Considered me trustworthy
- Appointed me to his service: diakonia, service of ministry to the needs of people
- Showed me mercy
- Jesus came into the world to save sinners!
- Shows mercy to even the worst
- Patience toward those who would be saved
- Not what/who I was before: blasphemer, persecutor, violent man
- Abundantly Anointed by Jesus with his:
- The abundance is the possession of Christ himself.
2) Guarantee of eternal life
3) Desire for holiness
- Example of Jesus’ willingness
- Praise Him and no one else!
- King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.