Scripture Reading: 1 Timothy 6:5-11; 17-19
Memory Verse: "In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” Acts 20:35
- Wealth is not sinful in itself!
b. It must be used appropriately
c. Can be enjoyed! Verse 17
- Lure into Danger!
b. Foolish and harmful Desires!
c. Plunge people into ruin and destruction!
- A Lesser Love that leads to many other sins!
b. Pierced with many griefs!
c. Ignoring the needs of those around us!
- Arrogance: Self-sufficiency, lacks gratitude and acknowledgment of the source of our supply
- Idolatry: Dependence or trust in their wealth!
2. Solution to affluenza?
- Pursue God and flee affluenza! Verse 11
- Practice Contentment! Verses 7-8
b. You should be content with food and clothing!
- Put your hope in God! Verse 17
- Do good with your wealth! Verse 18
b. Generous! Excel at giving
c. Willing to share! Focus on the relational aspect of helping! The needs of others to whom you relate drive your use of money!
- Focus on eternity! Verse 19
b. Establish a firm foundation there!
- Take hold of real life! Verse 19