Scripture Reading: Matthew 5:1-12
Memory Verse: "Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God." Matthew 5:8
a. Jesus and not Moses:
- The new Law of Jesus as pronounced on the Mount in Galilee should be taken on as superior to the Mosaic Law given on the Mount of Sinai.
- The sermon makes a strong case not only that Jesus' teaching builds upon the work of Moses but also that he brings finality to the Law.
- Jesus does not abolish but fulfills the Law and prophets! Verse 17
- Grace fulfills righteousness of the Law
- Practices and teaches the Law of God!
- Invites His disciples into His greatness!
a. Kingdom Citizens are all blessed!!!
- Poor in spirit: Person of abject poverty! A person whose poverty has impoverished their soul!
- Kingdom of heaven belongs to them!
- God has reversed their curse!
- Actively grieving?
- Will be spoken to by God!
- This is the unique role of the Holy Spirit! John 14:26, 15:26, 16:7
- Gentleness or meekness is the opposite of self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. The gentle person is not occupied with self at all. This is a work of the Holy Spirit, not of the human will (Gal 5:23).
- Those who have no portion will receive the earth as an inheritance!
- Figuratively, to crave ardently, to seek with eager desire
- Craving to be, right with God, in a broad sense: state of him who is as he ought to be, righteousness, the condition acceptable to God.
- You will be right with God!!!
Isa 55:1 NIV - “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost."
Repent and follow Jesus!!!!