Scripture Reading: Hebrews 13:17-25 (NIV)
17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.
18 Pray for us. We are sure that we have a clear conscience and desire to live honorably in every way. 19 I particularly urge you to pray so that I may be restored to you soon.
20 Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, 21 equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
22 Brothers and sisters, I urge you to bear with my word of exhortation, for in fact I have written to you quite briefly. 23 I want you to know that our brother Timothy has been released. If he arrives soon, I will come with him to see you. 24 Greet all your leaders and all the Lord’s people. Those from Italy send you their greetings. 25 Grace be with you all.
- Persuade through reason of the Scripture!
- Persist to the point of directing!
- Give an account!
- Minister with joy and not put in a straight!
- Maintain a Clear Conscience!
- Desiring honorable conduct in all things!
- Stay long!
- Train the people to do good work and please God!
- Depend on Jesus!
- Exhort the people!
- Greet the people with grace!
2. The spiritually mature Christian has a Spirit-called, Spirit-gifted ministry within the Unshakable Kingdom and must perform it faithfully under the leadership!
- Be persuadable concerning applied truth! Verse 17
- Be yielding to direction! Verse 17
- Be a follower! Verse 17
- Be visible! Verse 17
- Be counted faithful! Verse 17
- Be a source of joy and liberty! Verse 17
- Be prayerful! Verse 18
- Be in long term fellowship! Verse 19, 23
- Be equipped to work! Verses 20-21
- Be dependent upon Jesus! Verses 20-21
- Be desirous of exhortation! Verse 22
- Be graceful greeters of the leader! Verses 24-25
- Enjoy God’s leadership!
- Pray for leaders!
- Follow leadership!
- Leaders must lead!