Scripture Reading: Hebrews 4:1-11
For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. Now we who have believed enter that rest . . . Heb. 4:2-3a
A. Promise of Rest: verse 1-2
B. Oath of Anger: Toward rebelliousness: verse 3
1) Many have heard the gospel, but it has no value to them, yet
2) They have fallen short, due to not believing what they heard!
3) Eternal restlessness of the lost is part of God’s judicial verdict for unbelief!
2. God’s Work Endures: verses 3b-11
A. God’s Work: verses 3b-4
B. Man’s Work: verses 5-11
1) Ongoing work of disobedience
2) Joshua: No rest for the weary! Unfinished work of the self-righteous
3) Some refuse to enter this rest, do it themselves?
3. God’s Invitation Demands a Response: verses 6-11
A. Tender: A heart like David, faith, trust in God
B. Timely: Today, certain time
C. Total Trust: Enter God’s rest and rest from your own work
D. Troubling: Make every effort to enter that rest
E .Testimonial: You r response is to be followed by others